Googlebar Help Page
About UsThe Googlebar project was created to attempt to mimic the popular Google Toolbar, previously available only in Internet Explorer browsers, after we noticed that many people would be perfectly happy to use Mozilla... if only they had their Google toolbar. So, when no Mozilla Googlebar appeared, this open source project was created to attempt to mimic at least some of the functionality and appearance of Google's original Internet Explorer version, and since then we've added quite a few features of our own as well. The result- the "Googlebar"- is an open source port of the Google™ toolbar, with a long list of third-party contributors (none of whom, as far as we know, are employed by Google Inc.)
Some of the Google Help content is revelant to GoogleBar, but the best place to ask questions or discuss issues on the Mozilla GoogleBar is on either our mailing list or feedback page, since the Googlebar is neither written by nor supported by Google, and the Mozilla and IE toolbars have no code in common.
Frequently Asked Questions(Note that the most commonly asked are marked in bold letters)
About the project
- Does Google Inc. formally provide support for the toolbar?
- No. Although we have contacted them, and they appear interested to know that the project is providing these functions to mozilla users, Google inc. provides no formal support- technical or otherwise- for the project.
Using the Googlebar
If you are using an older version, you may either upgrade to version 0.5 or newer (which will simultaneously make uninstalling easier and remove your desire to do so), or follow these manual instructions:
On Windows it's named XUL.mfl
On Linux it's named XUL.mfasl
On Apple it's named XUL FastLoad File
Troubleshooting and Development
appears in the file "installed-chrome.txt", located in the "chrome" directory under where mozilla is installed. If this line isn't there, add it to the end, and mozilla will now be able to find the files it needs. Further discussion can be found in bug 1932, but this should be fixed in our more recent versions (0.5 and later). One recent cause is that you may be using an old translation with a new version of the Googlebar: try the English language files included by default, which are always current.